Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Timeline of My Life: Sixties to Death

 60s to 70s...
     - Integrity vs. Despair

Retirement: While having a purpose had once been the motor that drove many of my actions, I am now making the transition into Erickson's "Integrity vs. Despair" stage. It is time that I focus on myself, my family, and my happiness instead of my job. (Integrity vs. Despair)

Travel: I plan on traveling around America, Europe, and South America after my retirement. This will contribute to a more positive reflection on my life, according to Erickson. (Integrity vs. Despair)


Volunteer: All of the rest and travel has been great, but I still feel the need to contribute to society somehow, since my children are out of the house. So to pass the time, I will volunteer at the American Cancer Society like I had done while I was in high school. In one aspect, I am returning to the "Generativity vs. Self-Absorption" stage because I want a sense of purpose; in another aspect, I am contributing to the "Integrity vs. Despair" stage because I am making my life more fulfilling in order to reduce my regrets.

70s to 80s...
     - Integrity vs. Despair

Reunion With a Childhood Friend: This is a time when I can reflect on my life, but with someone else's perspective, which can bring new life to my own reflection.

Grandchildren: By my seventies, I will hopefully have at least one grandchild. I plan on visiting and becoming connected with my grandchildren. In some way, I may be reliving certain experiences vicariously through my children and grandchildren, which is also a method of life reflection.

50th Wedding Anniversary: This is a huge milestone for me and my husband. It marks fifty years of love, happiness, and unity. This is somewhat of a pinnacle of the "Intimacy vs. Isolation" stage that I experienced in my twenties.



80s to 90s...
     - Integrity vs. Despair

Death of My Husband: While this will be a tragic event, it is also a time for me to reflect on the beautiful and satisfying life that my husband and I have lived together.

Living in an "Old Folks Home": With the loss of my husband, I am going to be lonely. By moving to a home filled with individuals who are in the same condition as me, I develop a sense of companionship once again.

The End: The remainder of my long life will be spend surrounded by friends and family. Hopefully, I will have no regrets about the life I have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment