Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Timeline of My Life: Forties to Sixties

40s to 50s...
     - Generativity vs. Self-Absorption

Get Master's Degree: As life is slowing down a little bit, I decide to get my Master's Degree in Mathematics. Subconsciously, I am doing this because I want a sense of usefulness and accomplishment, which coincides with Erickson's 8 Stages of Life. (Generativity vs. Self-Absorption) It also signals the fourth stage of my cognitive development, formal operation, because I have the ability to reason abstractly and consider many different possibilities. (Formal Operational Stage)

Take Leadership Position at Work: Taking a leadership position at my job serves two purposes; the first purpose is, like described above, to develop a sense of productiveness and power. (Generativity vs. Self-Absorption) The second purpose is to make more money in order to support my family.

One (or both) of My Parents Pass Away: In my late forties, it will unfortunately be time for my parents to pass away. As sad as it is, this event is a big part of my own development. After seeing how quickly life can be taken away and the regrets/happy moments that my parents had, I might completely change how I live the rest of my life. My priorities are likely to change, and I will begin to reflect on my life in order to find ways that I can reduce regrets when it is my time to go. (integrity vs. Despair)



50s to 60s...
     - Integrity vs. Despair

Children Go to College: My children will be out of the house by now, most likely in college or pursuing a career. My husband and I will probably be suffering "empty-nest syndrome" which we may remedy by adopting a dog. (Generativity vs. Self-Absorption)

Qualify for Senior Discount at Ross: While this may not seem like a massive event, qualifying for this discount is a sign to all of society that I am getting older.

"I'm a Good Person!": While at the mall, a woman dropped $100 dollars, and despite having to find ways to pay for my children's education, I grab the money and give it back to its owner. This signals my post-conventional morality, which means that my actions were based on ethical principles, not my own self-interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment